By: Emmanuel Fateman
The President of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, Engineer Otis Oliver Anyaeji recently conferred Fellow of Nigerian Society of Engineers on Engr. Maj. Gen. Bamidele Olaleke Ogunkale.
The event was attended by the crème de la cream of the society. It was held last June 30, 2017 at NAF Conference Centre, Abuja.
Unknown to many, Gen. Ogunkale is an all-weather engineer whose sphere of knowledge covers all military and civil engineering fields, having undertaken various projects for the Nigerian Army in both peace and war times, in a meritorious and distinguishable national service spanning over 30 years.
He attended the Nigerian Military School, Zaria from 1978 to 1983 and then proceeded to the prestigious Nigerian Defence Academy in 1983 where he was commissioned into the corps of the Nigerian Army Engineers as a second Lieutenant on 4th July, 1986. The senior officer has a certificate of “Maintenance of Peace, An Evolving Concept” from Pearson Peace Keeping Institute, Mali in 2002. He attended Lagos State University where he obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2004. He also obtained a Master of Science degree in Defence and Strategic Studies from the National Defence University, Islamabad, Pakistan in 2010. He also hold two Diploma Certificate in French Language proficiency, obtain in 2013 and another Master of Science degree in producing Engineering from University of Agriculture Makurdi in 2014. Additionally, he was awarded Honourable Decorated degree in Management from Common Wealth University, Beliza, London UK in 2013. He is a Polyglot and speak other languages fluently.
Engr.. Ogunkale’s yearning for knowledge and innovation led him into a research on Bio Diesel production using Jatropha Caucus and Yellow Orleanda as feedstock. He intends in the near future to see how the Nigeria Army vehicles and equipment can be powered by Bio Diesel renewable energy source which is cheaper and environmentally friendly. He equally diversified his research by venturing into the design of Integrated Reinforced Obstacle Belt (IROB) and Electronic jammers for the Nigeria Army in 2013 which is being used extensively in the north east operation against the terrorists. He has attended various workshop and seminars some of it include Disaster Management Workshop, Democracy Conflict Management and rule of law, Security Awareness Workshop and Peace keeping Workshop. He is a COREN Registered Engineer and a member of the Nigerian institute of Mechanical Engineers.
He has professionally executed various project to completion Stages. Few among them are:
- Renovation of Nigerian Police Barracks, Ikaja.
- Construction of 234 Battalion Barracks.
- Renovation of 202 Battalion Barracks, Bama.
- Renovation of Azare barracks, Bauchi State
- Rehabilitation works and construction of perimeter fence and 243 tanks Battalion Barracks, Monguno.
- Renovation of Mai-Malari cantonment, Maiduguri.
- Construction of Military Cenotaph at Abuja Military Cemetery.
- Contrition of Mubi barracks, Mubi, Adamawa State.
- Renovation of 1 battalion Barracks, Birnin kebbi.
- Renovation of Janguza Barracks, Kano.
Within one year of assumption of duty as Director General of DICON, he has also done the following:
- Revamping of the ordinance factory in preparation for full scale production.
- Renovation and restructuring of DICON Headquarter Complex.
- Design and production of Mobile Power Solar Generator.
- Construction of access road leading to the R & D Centre
- Revamping of DICON Filling Station.
- Renovation of staff quarters.
- Change of DICON Logo, Vision and Mission statement to reflect the DICON optimal capacity and capabilities amongst others.
A thorough and well-grounded professional, General Ogunkale has won several awards in the course of the discharge of his studies. He is a recipient of the forces service star, meritorious service star, distinguish service star and the fellow of a national defence University, Pakistan. He was given the chief of Army staff award for innovations in 2013. Furthermore, he was awarded a certificate of excellence as an icon for hard work and dedication to national service by the common wealth student/youth federation for peace. He was also given the imperial peace ambassador Honour by the same organisation. General Ogunkale has held several appointments to commensurate to his rank. Notable amongst them are: Engineer rep- Nigerian Army School of Artillery, Registrar- Nigerian Army Institute of Technology and Environmental Studies (NAITES) Makurdi, Deputy Director Combat- Department of Army Standard Evaluation, Director of Army works- Headquarters, Nigerian Army Engineers, Lagos. He was also the commandant of the Nigerian Army School of Military Engineering, Makurdi, Benue State and presently the Director General of the defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria (DICON).
Major General Ogunkale has also undertaken several Philanthropic projects to impact his immediate environment amongst which are:
- Construction/Donation of culvert to Orozo Community in Abuja.
- Construction of Culvert in Kurudu phase 4, post housing Barracks, Abuja.
- Donation of Books/Journals to Nigerian Army Institute of Technology and Environmental Studies (NAITES)
- Donation of Computers and accessories to Command Day Secondary School, NASME Barracks, Makurdi.
He also delivers lecture on self-development to under graduate in various higher institutions of learning.
Notwithstanding the myriads of accolades, Gen. Ogunkale remains the founder of the urban foundation, a non-profit organisation which has been committed to touch lives across the borders of races and religion.